Monday, August 4, 2008

Adventures in SQL

This week we tackled SQL. While it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, it does take a keen eye for detail and incredible patience to figure out why things are not going quite as you expect them to. The number of times I typed in '.' instead of '_' and '/' instead of '\' are too many to count.

At this point, though, I think the most confusing thing is that I kept trying to use linux commands while in >mysql. I need to get a better grasp of how to move around within the program using the command line and also need to remember to put the ';' at the end of each command.

Using the other interfaces to create tables and input data (webadmin, text files) were useful as well - and probably what I will use if I have the chance. I don't live at the command prompt am more inclined to use the graphic user interface of webadmin and the simpler structure of the text file to create tables and enter data.

I can't believe we've already progressed this far in the class and am amazed that I am able to do the things that I have. Now, in addition to the assignments for the next couple of weeks, I will need to work on my final project and begin reviewing material from the beginning of the course so I will be prepared for the exam.

No comments: