Monday, June 9, 2008

ubuntu challenges

Well, this week went pretty well. I started with loading Ubuntu desktop - that was fine; no problems; even enjoyed the Cylon-esque orange light moving back and forth. Then I moved on
to the Ubuntu server. But first I had to download the VMWare that we switched to for class. The first time I downloaded (the one time I didn't save to a file and then execute from the file), I had an incomplete installation because I had the version I downloaded last week. Of course, I had read in the class pages that the previous version had to be uninstalled, but it didn't "take" until that moment. So, I uninstalled the previous version of VMWare and then put in the "new" version with success on the second attempt.

Then I moved on to the Ubuntu server installation, which proved to be more challenging. I actually had to do it twice. I watched the videos that were provided, and then followed along. I don't know what I did the first time, but it wouldn't start up when I went to initialize the virtual machine. It would just stall and say that it couldn't find the source. I went back and made sure it was reading the file rather than the CD and tried again. Same message. I went back and put the CD in - same message. Finally, I just started over and created a second virtual machine - this time with success! I was relieved, because if it had not worked, I don't know what I would have done.

The only thing that I did have trouble with was the NAT configuration. Since I am using a wireless modem, my IP address changes, and I was not able to input an IP address. I am working to monitor my IP address to see if there is one in particular that I use and then I might be able to enter that in to the configuration. I certainly hope so!

I thought the tutorials were very good. The only problem I had was that the ones available through the course were cut off at the end of the section. But, I don't think there was much, if any, information lost. The YouTube tutorials were very good, although the last one didn't really apply since I didn't have the problems indicated. However, it was good to see how you can move around and troubleshoot when things do not go as planned.

On another note, this week, I am very proud that I did post one reply to the discussion board - and that was really hard. Hopefully I will be able to budget my time a little better this week and check into the boards more often to reply more frequently.

No comments: