Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Cataloging Quickly & Consistently - an oxymoron?

Consistency is the biggest challenge in cataloging - why there are so many standardized subject and descriptive schema available (Library of Congress Subject Headings; Art and Architecture Thesaurus; etc). In creating my digital collections, I am finding that consistency is a challenge, although I haven't really focused on that aspect of my collections yet. My rationale for not addressing the consistency in cataloging has to do more with my idea of testing the tools that are available for creating and organizing digital collections and figuring out the templates/controlled vocabulary at a later date. In working with digital collections on a limited basis prior to this program, the description of an item and the consistency of descriptive elements are fairly easy to address. What is more important, I think, when initially working with a digital collection management program is to see how the workflow is and then what it is capable of in terms of ensuring consistency in description among users.

No comments: